eID Card F.A.Q.

What is an eID Card?

An eID Card is an identity document that contains an electronic chip. All the information visible on the eID Card, including your photographic image is stored securely on the chip which is protected by encryption.

What data does the chip contain?

The contactless chip within the eID Card contains the following data:
The information already visible on the card i.e. Name, Date of Birth, and so on.
Security related fields such as the PIN that protects the chip itself from unauthorised access.
The electronic signature of the individual, protected by an additional Signer PIN.

How can I view the details on the chip?

A tool to view the contents of your eID card chip will be made available in the near future. Users will be able to download this tool to their computers and use it in conjunction with an approved USB card reader

Is the data on the chip safe?

The data on the chip is protected with the best security practices of the card security industry, including encryption of all transmitted data.

What other security features are in the eID Card?

In addition to the electronic chip other features on the eID document include intricate designs and complex watermarks. The changes have been implemented to keep up to date with design changes in ID Documents across Europe. These new physical security features will help fight identity fraud and make your eID Card hard to forge.

Can I use my eID Card at automated immigration gates in airports?

No. While the Red ID Card is a travel document, it is not an electronic travel document. Its electronic features are designed for local use. The Blue and Green eID Cards are not travel documents at all.

What if there is a mistake on the card?

Please take a minute to check the personal details on your eID Card. If you find a mistake, please contact the Civilian Registration Office (CSRO)
Joshua Hassan House
Secretary's Lane
Tel: 200 51725

What Should I do if my eID Card is damaged?

If your eID Card gets damaged, it may prevent you from travelling or from using Government Services and you may need to get a replacement. If you need to replace an eID Card please contact the Civil Status and Registration Office using the details given on the back of this leaflet.

What should I do if my eID Card is lost or stolen?

If you lose your eID Card please report it to the Civilian Status Registration Office. You should report the loss of your eID Card to the police station as soon as possible. Please note a police report will be required to apply for a replacement.

I reported my ID as lost but I have now found it, can I use it?

No. We will cancel all eID Cards that are reported lost or stolen. You must not try to use it again.

What is eGov?

eGov is a HM Government of Gibraltar initiative to modernise and improve the way citizens and businesses are able communicate and transact business with Government Departments. Visit www.egov.gi for more information.

What is eGov Registration?

eGov Registration is a simple one–off process which identifies a citizen and allows him/her to use online services.

What are the benefits of registering?

Once you are registered you will be able to log on to your citizen profile and use the online services from the comfort of your home or office, saving yourself having to physically visit a Government counter.

Who can register?

All holders of a valid eID Card aged 15 or over may register.

Where can I register?

To register for egov, please request an eGov registration form from the Civilian Registration Office (CSRO)
Joshua Hassan House
Secretary's Lane
Tel: 200 51725

Can I do everything without visiting a counter?

eGov is a work in progress. While Government will keep adding online services over time, not all services will be available online immediately. We will keep you informed of improvements and additions as and when they are launched, visit www.egov.gi for more information.

What do I need to make use of eGovernment online services?

You will need the following to make use of eGovernment online services
A valid eID Card
A computer with an internet connection
A contactless USB card reader
You will need to be registered for eGovernment

How do I obtain a card reader? Does any contactless reader work?

To obtain a card reader you will have to purchase one from the Civil Status Registration Office(Joshua Hassan House, 3 Secretary's Lane), or the Office of Fair Trade(Suite 975, Europort). The following card readers have been tested and are supported:
cyberJack RFID basis - Reinersct

What is the PIN?

The PIN protects your card from unauthorised use. It will be requested when authenticating your identity on the eGovernment website. The card becomes locked if the wrong PIN is entered three times.

What is the PUK?

In the event that your card becomes locked you may use the PUK to unlock it.

What are the Transport and Signer PINs?

The Transport PIN is a ‘one-off’ code used to create a private 6-digit Signer PIN. The Signer PIN will be requested whenever a digital signature is required.